tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 27 22:41:35 1997

RE: KLBC: Proverb translation

jatlh Banzai:

> I was trying to translate a proverb for a friend into tlhIngan Hol.  The
> proverb is "That which does not kill me can only make me stronger!"

Ugh.  We did this one to death a couple of months ago.

> translated it into tlhIngan Hol as this:
>
> muHoHbe'lu'chugh, HoSwI' ghurbej 'oH!

When you use {-lu'}, remember that your use of prefixes will change.  Instead
of {mu-}, you'll need {vI-}.  Take a look at TKD 4.2.5.  The problem with
using {-lu'} here is that you're not really talking about the indefinite
subject, you're talking about a "something."  You'll be making it a specific
subject in a second, so you need to keep it that way throughout.

"My strength" is {HoSwIj}, not {HoSwI'} (unless your strength can talk).

Here's my preference:

muHoHbe'chugh vay', muHoSmoH.
If something doesn't kill me, it makes me strong.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level