tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 13:57:06 1997

RE: Loose translation

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'
>It's probably best not to
>presume too much about Klingon idiom.

Actually, it's always been my belief that any alien race will be completely
different from ours, especially in mentality.  I don't dispute with Star Trek
taking artistic licence because they do it well, but -no- idiom would work the
same way, I bet.

I once read a book that mentions an alien race whose language doesn't have
verbs, and that's pretty close to the mark.  When you think of that, Klingon
actually seems very similar to English -- nouns, verbs, adverbs, and so on.

In fact, it's strange that any alien would share a concept with another (I'm
thinking of "honor.").  Convergent evolution?
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level