tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 09:55:36 1997

Re: KLBC Klingon national anthem

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
|>From: "Stefan (SovwI)" <[email protected]>
|>
|>Qoy qeylIS puqloD
|>Listen to Kahless son
|
|When I heard this, I actually considered it a vocative: "Listen, son of
|Kahless" (presumably a term for today's Klingon, especially a young one. A
|follower of Kahless).

That's exactly how I've always understood it. In a sense all Klingon
warriors, young and old, are "the sons of Kahless". I'm reminded of the
English song (I can't remember the name but Lore sang snippets of it in
"Datalore") referring to the "sons of the Prophet," meaning of course
Muslims in general as Muhammad had no male children.

|		  After all, I don't know if we ever even heard that
|Kahless HAD a child, let alone one famous enough to have songs sung about
|him!

Exactly. This interpretation never even occurred to me. Why would TPTB
write a Klingon national anthem about Kahless' heretofore unknown *son*?
Even for Paramount's writers that's a bit much.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level