tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 24 11:02:14 1997

Re: Practicing...

: > occasions. This may mean that {-oy} doesn't sound particularly "cutesy" or
: > childish when used by adult Klingons (like "Daddy" would to us). Somehow,
: > though, I can't imagine Alexander ever calling *his* rigid "paragon of
: > virtue" father {vavoy}.
: >
: > -- Voraghoy
:
: Does this mean that it's okay if I address Lawrence as... darn it!
: Lawrence, why did you have to pick a title ("Director") that has no
: exact translation into Hol?  What are we supposed to call you?
: {loHwI'}?  {DevwI'}?  {toy'wI'}?  (I assume that {pIn} is out due to its
: connection to Glen Proechel.)
:
: Qoboy

Well, Gowron is the {yejquv DevwI'} and is addressed as {DevwI'} for short
in KCD (or at least in the novelization thereof), so I suppose Dr Lawrence
would be the {yejHaD DevwI'}. And we all remember Okrand's words about the
{DevwI'na'} on PK. Of course, for Terrans {DevwI'} does have its own
unfortunate connections: Il Duce, Der Fuehrer, El Lider, Vozhd', etc.

How about... {Qeloy}?  But only if you know him *real* well!  {{;-)

-- Voragh, plain and simple

Back to archive top level