tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 24 07:45:56 1997

re: Practicing...

: ja' Voragh:
: >|Remember Azetbur's line in Star Trek 6:  {'e' neHbe' vavwI'}.
: >
: >Or even:  {'e' neHbe' vavoy}.
:
: I'm pretty sure {vavoy} wasn't used in that line.  (It *was* spoken by
: Azetbur, untranslated, at the toast to the Chancellor at dinner.)
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

Get the tape out and listen again--it's there. I believe Krankor also quoted
it in his early "From the Grammarian's Desk" article on {'e'}.

You're right, Azetbur did say it at dinner on the Enterprise. It even shows
up in the Closed Captions to the scene (which unfortunately aren't provided
when there are English subtitles on the screen). I remember being struck
that {vavoy} seems to be her usual term for her father with whom she's
*very* close and she's not embarrassed to use it in public, even at formal
occasions. This may mean that {-oy} doesn't sound particularly "cutesy" or
childish when used by adult Klingons (like "Daddy" would to us). Somehow,
though, I can't imagine Alexander ever calling *his* rigid "paragon of
virtue" father {vavoy}.

-- Voraghoy

Back to archive top level