tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 16:33:50 1997

RE: (KLBC) pronunciation of tlh-H

On Friday, April 18, 1997 6:18 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Mark Beal
wrote:
> On 18-Apr-97, Gary Cowell (QI'HoS) wrote:
>
> >SoHvaD jISuv
> >neH jIHagh

If you're trying to say "I merely laugh," remember that {neH} is a special
adverbial.  It always comes *after* the word it's modifying.  When following a
verb, it means "just, merely."

jIHagh neH.

> >qa'oy'chughmoH vaj jIQoS

Remember to always keep your verb suffixes in the right order!
{qa'oy'moHchugh}

> choquvmoHHa'taHbe' 'ej bIquvmoH'egh

You've hit upon one of those snags which people occasionally encounter.  Is
{quvmoH} a distinct verb, different from {quv} + {-moH}?  I don't think so.
So, keep the suffixes in the correct order:

choquvHa'moHtaHbe' 'ej bIquv'eghmoH.
You are not dishonoring me, and you honor yourself.

> Bealy.
>
> (What would "Bealy SovIw'bogh" say to you??)

Nothing.  It looks like you might have meant {*Bealy* Sovlu'bogh}, "Bealy, who
is known."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian