tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 19 23:26:35 1997

RE: KLBC: Back to the last topic but seven

On Tuesday, April 15, 1997 9:05 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> Hu', ghItlh SuStel:

If you do this, you really should make what follows a direct quote.

> bo'DIjDaq jaHnIS 'ach lupwI' ghajbe' ghaH.

qar.

> wa' Doch vIyajbe'.  qatlh bo'DIjDaq bIjaHnIS?  <bItoy'meH>

That's what I mean.  I didn't say {bItoy'meH}.  I would have said {jItoy'meH}.

> nuqjatlh?  'Iv
> Datoy'?

bo'DIj vItoy'.
HeSchugh vay', vaj bIghHa'Daq.
pa' jaHpa', bo'DIjDaq jaH.
wa' noHwI', wa'maH cha' noHwI'Hom je tu'lu'.
noHwI'Hom vImojnIS.
'ach pa' jIjaHlaHbe'.
bo'DIjvaD jIQum, 'ej ghu' vIQIj.
vaj jItoy'nISbe'.
'ach qaSpa' jav jar bo'DIjvaD jItoy'nISqa'.

bIyaj'a'?

> Some days ago, SuStel wrote: He had to go to court, but didn't have
> transportation.
> One thing I didn't understand.  Why did you have to go to court?  "because
> you serve"   Huh? Who do you serve?
>
> (luq. nI'lu'pu' 'ach law'taHqu'  Qu'meywIj.)
> (Okay. It's been a long time, but I've been busy.)

Huh?  What do you mean, {nI'lu'qu'}?  "Something indefinite is lengthy in
duration"?  No, you're going too closely to the English.  Just because it's in
the English passive voice doesn't mean it must get Klingon indefinite subject.

qaSpu' Hoghmey law'
Many weeks have occurred.

Or months, or days, or whatever is appropriate.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 97301.2

Back to archive top level