tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 20:12:28 1997

Re: "verbs of saying" when you're not "saying"

|ghItlh Voragh
|>Is {ra'} a "verb of saying"? I suspect it might be. After all, Okrand didn't
|give us the complete list of these on purpose--to give himself more
|flexibility in future. Unfortunately, it isn't used in a SAO construction in
|canon so I don't think we can say either way:<
|
|That wasn't the point I was trying to make.  You could use <ja'> or something
|else, but my point is, if there's a verb of saying (doesn't matter which), but
|there's nothing actually <spoken,> is 'e' or net used?
|
|qoror

I understood your point and was trying to say that I thought that "verb of
saying" *might* be interpreted somewhat loosely and may (or may not) be
limited strictly to oral communication. Okrand listed "say, tell, ask,
*etc.*" (one can "ask" or "tell" in writing too) and he gave only one
example,
with ja' (TKD p. 67):
	qaja'pu' HIqaghQo' = HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'
	"I told you not to interrupt me!"

His clever use of "etc." gives him a lot of leeway. Whether it lets you do
what you want, I don't know. What are you trying to "say"?

Hmmm... A query about "verbs of saying" would be a good topic for the MSN
tlhIngan Hol BBS -- once Okrand starts to post again. He could talk about
them as much (or as little) as he wants and, in so doing, would surely give
us more examples of their correct use. Anyone on MSN.com want to oblige?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level