tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 18:37:10 1997

RE: KLBC: tera'ngan HIp vItu'be'

jatlh QI'HoS:
> wa'Hu' tera'ngan HIp chu' vIje'nIS 'ach Hochmey vIlegh mach pagh tIn.

When using the word {Hoch}, you don't need to add the plural suffix {-mey}.
In fact, I don't even know if you'd be allowed to add it.  {Hoch} is "all."

You're trying to say "All which I saw were too small."  You need to identify
the subject and the main verb in this sentence.  The subject is "All which I
saw."  See the "which"?  That's a signal that you'll need the verb suffix
{-bogh}.  See TKD 6.2.3.  {Hoch vIleghbogh} "All which I saw."

That's the subject, so let's put it in the subject position: after the main
verb, {machqu'} "too small."

machqu' Hoch vIleghbogh.
All which I saw were too small.

Now, just add the "or too big" part:

machqu' Hoch vIleghbogh, pagh tInqu'.
All which I saw were either too small or too big.

You can use {-qu'} to emphasize the main verb.  It can mean "very" or "too
much," depending on how you use it.  Since the topic of this conversation is
the dissatisfaction you experienced in looking at uniforms, it's pretty clear
that you mean the "too much" connotation.

> porghwIj Hujbe' vaj qatlh tera'ngan HIp lugh vItu'be'

The first part of this sentence is "My body is not weird."  What's the
subject?  It's "my body" {porghwIj}.  The subject always comes last.

Hujbe' porghwIj.
My body is not weird.

You're talking about not being *able* to find a Terran uniform.  Use the verb
suffix {-laH} on {tu'}.  {vItu'laHbe'} "I cannot find it."

I'm not so sure I'd add an adverbial like {vaj} on a question.  I'd simply
leave it out.

Hujbe' porghwIj.  qatlh tera'ngan HIp lugh vItu'laHbe'?
My body is not weird.  Why can't I find a correct Terran uniform?

> This is the first time I ever just sat down and wrote about what
> happened to me using tlhIngan Hol.

majQa'!

> I have a question thats been
> bugging me though...  In tlhIngan Hol can you identify the object once
> (tera'ngan HIp) and thereafter refer to it with the he/she/it objects
> without respecifying the object??

Absolutely.  Subject, object, or both.  As long as the meaning is clear, go
ahead and leave it out.  See TKD 6.2.1.

> Example -   tlhIngan HIp vIlegh 'ej vIneH
> does the vI on vIneH still refer to the tlhIngan HIp  or do you have
> to say  tlhIngan HIp vIlegh 'ej tlhIngan HIp vIneH.

{tlhIngan HIp vIlegh 'ej vIneH} is an excellent of dropping the noun.  majQa'!

> Sorry if this sounds really stupid :))

bISovbe'mo' bItlhob.  QIpbe'.  DaH bISov.  bIghojpu'.

bItlhobpu'be'chugh vaj DaH bISovbe'.  QIpchu' ghu'vam!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level