tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 15:48:10 1997

Re: Postal Course FAQ

> I would like to know more about this postal course, but don't know where to look. Could you tell me a few things..
>
> What IS it achually?? is it something that is ongoing, and I can't join at this stage, or is it something that is purely timed by the individuals?
>
> I read that it is free, is this true? how is this? Is it open to non-americans? eg English people?
>
> Is it useful? would other beginners suggect that I start it??
>
> Thanks in advance..
>
> Bealy

LEARNING THE KLINGON LANGUAGE

So you want to learn the Klingon language, heh?

1) Get a copy of The Klingon Dictionary by Marc Okrand. It's published
by Simon&Schuster....any bookstore will help you. Then READ IT AND READ
IT AND READ IT!. Its about $10. Its ISBN # is 0-671-74559-X.

There are now also three audio tapes available,
Power Klingon and Conversational Klingon and The Klingon Way. They, too,
are put out by Simon&Schuster.  There are also two new products. One is a
new book call  The Klingon Way: A Warriors Guide and the other is a CD-ROM
called Star Trek: KLINGON. Both are Simon&Schuster productions.

Anyone can order the TKD, and most of the other products from the KLI on
their merchant page at http://www.kli.org.

 NOTE: The Klingon Dictionary is "dry reading" but VERY informative.
 It will tell you 1000 times more than either of the audio tapes.

2) Join the Klingon Language mailing list. To subscribe send email to
                  [email protected]
In the BODY of the message write:

subscribe tlhIngan-Hol YourFirstName YourLastName

Leave the subject line blank.
You will be 1st sent the FAQ (Frequently Asked Question). READ IT!

3) Visit, via the internet, The Klingon Educational Virtual Enviornment.
   Telnet to mush.kli.org:2218  and join a virtual Klingon city in this
   unique MUSH.

4)Take the FREE (yes, its FREE) Klingon language postal course.
  Send a SASE with enought postage for two onces to:
    Klingon Language Course
     PO BOX 37
    Eagle ID 83616 USA

NOTE: This is NOT offered by e-mail to people in North America, However
  if you are "overseas" what I need you to do is send me 7 International
  Reply Coupons which you can get from you post office. They act as
  international postage stamps that will allow me to send you all 11
  lessons. Once you get them, we can do the postal course via e-mail.

  NOTE: this is only for students NOT living in North America!

5)Join the Klingon Language Institute, to get info write to
        KLI
        PO box 634
        Flourtown, PA 19031-0634 USA
The KLI publishes HolQeD, a quarterly journel about the Klingon Language.
  You can check out their Web page at   http://www.kli.org/
  You can also check out some Klingon texts at the KLI ftp site
  ftp.kli.org

6) Get all the back issues of HolQeD.

7) If there are any left order a copy of Hamlet (The Restored Klingon
version)from the KLI. They cost about $20 It has the English version
on the left page and it's  Klingon translation on the right. You can use
it to practice translating to and from Klingon and then checking your work
but note: this is a very advanced work and might lead some beginners to
frustration.

8) Never, ever, ever stop studying. To start learning, begin by writing
small, simple sentences that you would use every day. Always start by
learning the suffixes and prefixes first. Making personalized
flash-cards can also help. Work your way up GRADUALLY and limit
your frustration to tolerable doses.

Hope it helps.

david

--
 David Barron,  [email protected] ||       Hoch lup yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course      ||       qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level