tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 06:29:19 1997

RE: KLBC: Studying Klingon

On Monday, April 14, 1997 8:45 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:
> tell me if I'm wrong.  I just joined and I study Klingon in study hall when
> have nothing to do.  My friends think I'm nuts, but since I started French
> this year, I find that English makes more sense than it used to.

Oh, don't worry.  Every one of us has gone through explaining why we study
Klingon to unbelieving Terran {pujwI'pu'}.

> Oh well.
>  I'm not brave enough to translate yet,

yIyoHchoH!

> but if I had a ba' leth, I'd
> challenge you to a fight of honor!

I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  My job is to help out newcomers
to the Klingon Language on the list.  If you've got a question, or if you'd
like to converse with others at a beginners' level, just put "KLBC" at the
beginning of your subject line.  This will signal that I, the BG, am to be the
first to address the grammatical parts of your message.  Others may respond,
but only about the topic of conversation, and only in Klingon!  (And then, of
course, if I make a mistake, they gleefully rip me to shreds!  :)

Just in case you haven't, here are two very important web sites for you to
visit:

The Klingon Language Institute:
http://www.kli.org

this list's FAQ:
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

You have a copy of The Klingon Dictionary, don't you?  Good!  Read it a lot!

> elwij jaj jaj,

This line was given to us in Conversational Klingon, which is where I suppose
you've heard it.  The line is really this:

'IwlIj jachjaj!

It's a toast which means "May your blood scream!"  Of course, being a toast,
it follows nonstandard grammar.

batlh tlhIngan Hol DaghojchoH!

--
SuStel