tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 10:31:49 1997

Re: 2 consonants in a row

>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:55:02 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>
>On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Daniel Noll wrote:
>
>|> The first is "janluq pIqarD" (SkyBox S25)
>|
>|This could be a misprint, no?
>
>Why is this a problem? "Picard" is *not* a Klingon word--not even from
>another "dialect"--so why should you expect it to follow Klingon spelling
>rules. (For that matter, "Picard" isn't even an English word either!) It
>seems to be the closest tlhIngan Hol transcription using the letters
>available. (Not that we know how this would actually be spelled in the
>pIqaD.) What it does tell us is that the string {qarD} is thought by
>Klingons to be pronounceable (even if it isn't used in any of the tlhIngan
>Hol words we are aware of) and that an extra {I} "helping" vowel isn't felt
>to be needed here.

Note that English newspapers have no trouble writing the name "Mfume"
(Kweisi Mfume, head of NAACP) as is, even though "Mf-" is not a valid
initial cluster in English.  The rules bend some when you're dealing with
transliterations.

~mark

Back to archive top level