tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 13 19:58:29 1997

RE: KLBC: Saying

On Sunday, April 13, 1997 7:51 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Eliseo C.
d'Annunzio, Esquire wrote:
> >From memory, none of the Klingon (apart from certain words and actual
> names) used in the actual "Star Trek" series were ever used in the
> series... I remember reading somewhere that the writers had merely strung
> a series of the tlhIngan syllables together instead of using Okrand's
> translations as the translations proved to be even more difficult to
> pronounce... Even with phrases like "Today is a good day to die" Could
> anyone confirm this? SuStel, your opinion would probably ease my mind as
> to whether I am wrong or not...

Dammit, Jim, I'm a grammarian, not a scriptwriter!  {{:-)

Occasionally, someone who writes Star Trek actually picks up a copy of TKD,
and slaps some words together (usually in an unacceptable order).  Then, the
actor mispronounces it because no one thought to figure out how the words are
actually pronounced.  More often, however, is that the writers are not even
*aware* that there is a Klingon language, and they just cobble together some
nonsense.

Pitiful, really.

--
SuStel