tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 14:57:57 1997

2 consonants in a row

	qoror here.  I thought of something:  In almost all Klingon, there are no
two consonants in a row, with the exception of "-rgh" and possibly "-y'" and
-w'."  I won't go into those two.  In fact, in transliteration one often goes
out of one's way to separate them, usually putting "-I-" between them (witness
qIvo'rIt - K'vort, gha'tlhIq - GaTH'K, ghIlaSnoS - Glasnost, qItI'nga' -
K'Tinga, tIqnagh - Tknag, and wo'rIv - Worf).  Phonetics work the same way in
Japanese, I heard.  But the perceptive among you might note that it's apparently
not that their tongues aren't capable of that, because there are two exceptions
to that rule.  One is canonical, the other I'm not not sure of.  But they are
both transliterations of -Terran words-.  The first is "janluq pIqarD" (SkyBox
S25), and the other is from Hamlet, and I don't think it's canonical: tranSmI'.

	nuq boQub?

Back to archive top level