tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 11 18:47:44 1997

RE: SopDaq

ja' KEN TRAFT:
>There is no mention that <<Qong>> is a noun in TKD.  ?Is there?

Nope:  {Qong} "sleep (v)" is it.

>Can we assume
>it's a noun because -Daq is attached or must we take QongDaq as a single word.

Nope.  Without more evidence regarding the nature of {Qong}, we indeed
can't assume that {QongDaq} is anything but a simple two-syllable noun.

> Or maybe we can assume that -Daq can be a nominalizer?

Huh?  {-Daq} is a *noun* suffix; it goes on *nouns*.  Nouns don't need
to be nominalized!

>In any event.  If QongDaq as a compound work means BED.  Something you "sleep
>on" then using the SojDaq analogy would follow that it is a place for food
>either a table or plate rather than a room or "general location".  If it were
>a "general location" then QongDaq would be a "general sleeping location"
>rather than "a bed".  For such a location Qongpa' would be like a bed room
>and
>Sojpa' would more or less equate to kitchen or "possibly" food court.

Even assuming for argument's sake that {QongDaq} is a compound noun, I
don't follow your reasoning.  "Sleep-location" could mean any number of
things, and so can "food-location", but because {QongDaq} is defined as
bed we must define {SojDaq} as "plate" or "table" by analogy?  I don't
buy it.  You're trying to pry {QongDaq} apart and give a new meaning to
*both* parts -- {Qong} as a noun meaning "sleep", and {Daq} as a noun
meaning "thing on which something happens".

>Ditto on above use of QongDaq.  ghItlhDaq would be more or less like a table,
>desk, or even notepad.  ghItlh refers to manuscript which is a hand
>written/typed document.  One normally does such writing at a desk or table or
>some such.

Ditto on my complaint that you're warping the meaning of {Daq} "location"
in this line of reasoning.

>If the QongDaq is emphasizing a "sleeping place" as a bed it would
>follow that a "writing place" or "manuscript place" would be a desk, table or
>some such.

That's a mighty big "if" you've got there.  It's entirely possible that
{QongDaq} has a more subtle origin than simply a noun-noun compound.
Consider {qa'meH} -- it's emphatically *not* "spirit-bridge", nor does
{nIteb} necessarily have anything to do with "they fill you."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level