tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 08 14:15:18 1997

Re: pabpo'pu' (KLBC) je: What's up with these words?

According to Steve Weaver:

> De'wIj tuqIm:
>
> As if some of you don't have enough to do }};-)
>
> I was looking over my "electronic annotated TKO" and ran across these 9
> word pairs and just wanted to ensure that they were correct and not some
> bizarre typo. If they are valid words, how do I distinguish betwixt them?
> "Usage" will work for some but not the others. I'd like a better answer
> than that.

I saw a board.

Do you demand a better answer for English, too?

> chu' (v) - engage, activate (a device) [tko p83]
> chu' (v) - be new [tko p83]

Just useage.

> Daj (v) - interesting, be interesting [tko p83]
> Daj (v) - test inconclusively [tko p181 (addendum)]

Just useage.

> Degh (n) - medal, emblem, symbol, insignia [tko p181 (addendum)]
> Degh (n) - helm [tko p84] (i.e., the helm of a ship)

Just useage.

> pa' (n) - room [tko p99]
> pa' (n) - there, over there, thereabouts [tko p99]

In TKD there is some discussion of this. {pa'Daq} always means
"in the room". The second meaning will rarely take a suffix of
any kind. Other than that, it is pretty much a matter of
context.

> puS (v) - be few, be a handful, be several [tko p101] (few and several are
> opposites)
> puS (v) - sight (with gunsight) [tko p101]

Just useage.

> qutlh (v) - be cheap (in HolQeD from CK, David Barron)
> Qutlh (v) - be cheap (my listing. possible typo of {qutlh})

You are correct. {Qutlh} is not a word. Yet.

> SoQ (v) - shut, be closed [tko p108]
> SoQmoH (v) - close, shut [tko p108] (SoH + -moH (VS4) - cause ??)

The first is the state of being closed. The second is the act
of closing something.

> veqlargh (n) - devil, demon, Fek'lhr [tko p185 (addendum)]; [TKW p197]
> veqlargH (n) -devil, demon, Fek'lhr [typo on kli.org new word list???]

If that is the way it is listed, then it is a typo. I'm still
working on an update, but I've been distracted.

> wuq (v) - decide [tko p115]
> wuq (v) - decide upon [tko p185 (addendum)]

I suspect the addendum is the clarified meaning, but since the
earlier meaning exists, the rule so far is that either meaning
can be used. These are quite similar, though one sounds
intransitive and the other sounds transitive. We have an
example of it used transitively in HolQeD v5n3p15-S25. I don't
have that with me just now, so I can't quote it.

> Satlho'neS
>
> Soqra'tIS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level