tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 05 20:21:41 1997

RE: KLBC: Re: qoSwij

jatlh peHruS:

> I am posing this as a question:  {yaH} means "be taken away."  Could we use
> this word to express "except for...."?  For example, yaHDI' wa' mu',
> mu'tlheghvam vIyaj.

I don't know about you, but I find that removing words from sentences makes
things *harder* to understand!

You're not expressing "except for," you're using this phrase in a Klingon
sentence.  There's no reason to believe that this sort of phrase would always
work for every context.  Grammatically, your fine right now, though I disagree
with the semantics.  But this doesn't mean that {yaH} always means "except
for."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian