tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 01 00:35:34 1997

Re: KLBC: Re: qoSwij

In a message dated 97-03-26 03:45:08 EST, SuStel answers mIqIraH:

<<  How would one say "except for," as in, "I understand everything except
 > for this word?"  I'm sure there's some recasting of the sentance
 > involved, but I can't figure it out!  Do you have to use two sentances
 > with {'ach}?  Something like this?
 >
 > Hoch vIyaj 'ach mu'Heyvam vIyajbe'.
 >
 > That seems right to me, but is there a shorter way?

 That works, though some might not like the seemingly contradictory statement

 of understanding everything but not understanding one thing.  Try this:

 mu'Heyvam vIyajbe' 'ach Hoch latlh vIyaj.
 I do not understand this apparent word, but I understand every other.

 The shorter way:

 wa' mu' neH vIyajbe': *Qo'neS*.
 I do not understand one word only: *{Qo'neS}.

I am posing this as a question:  {yaH} means "be taken away."  Could we use
this word to express "except for...."?  For example, yaHDI' wa' mu',
mu'tlheghvam vIyaj.

peHruS

Back to archive top level