tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 01 17:29:13 1997

rejmorgh yIDaQo' -- yIQuch!

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, HurghwI' wrote:

|My point was that since, as you say, Klingon has no "be," then Okrand, too
|is merely forcing an English meaning onto the words. For example, <Quch>
|could be translated "to outwardly display hapiness." I wasn't condoning
|this as an actual solution, but trying to draw attention to the fact that
|the translation ought not be the only criterion.

Sometimes we do have a bit more to go on than the 1 or 2 word glosses in
TKD. Okrand defines <Quch> on the MSN featured word page as:

	Happy
	Quality, characterized by joy or pleasure.

while <'IQ> is:

	Sad
	Quality, to be unhappy or have sorrow.

-- Voragh