tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 29 11:42:21 1996

Re: KLBC

At 05:32 AM 9/9/96 -0700, Mike Rowe wrote:
>Here is another of my attempts:
>
>'IwwIj pubtaH choHotDI'
>
>When you touch me my blood boils

Ooh, good use of -DI'!

What's even better, is that you more or less caught your own errors..

>I am unsure of two things: first syntax,

Well, your "instincts" are right.  You do have one error in your syntax:
"my blood" is the *subject* not the *object* of "to boil", so it has to go
*after* it:

        pubtaH 'IwwIj choHotDI'

>...second I am unsure if I used -taH
>correctly to make boil into boils.  I don't have my TKD with me at work when I
>wrote this so I had to go from memory on some items.

The differnece between "boil" and "boils" is tense.  Klingon does not have
tense.  What you said (with above correction) is "My blood (continuously)
boils as soon as you touch me.", which I would interpret to mean that it is
not about to stop anytime soon.  That is just my interpretation; on that
score, what you have is perfectly fine.  As a stylistic note (in other
words, just a suggestion), you might want -choH in there, as it implies that
your blood was fine before, and emphasizes that it is the act of touching
that causes your blood to get all steamy.

Saying that one's blood is boiling to mean that one is angry is (I'm pretty
sure) idiomatic.  However, I corrected you post as-is, because I didn't want
to pull emphasis away from the grammar-correction in this case; and also,
without a context for this expression, I am hesitant to offer anything else,
so I am going to leave this post at that.

>Qapla'
>ghojmoHwI''a' batlhro'

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level