tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 29 08:59:12 1996

Re: KLBC:-bogh again

96-09-29 00:33:27 EDT, jatlh trI'Qal:

> >HoH qettaHbogh loD 'e' vIleghpu'.
>  >
>  >In my original post, I left out the 'e' in the third sentence, which is
>  >supposed to be: I saw the man who is running kill him.  Was this  attempt
>  >better?
>
>  Actaully, I think it would have been better had you left the <'e'> out.
>  {{:(  The main reason for this is because the way you have it here, <'e'>
is
>  a seperate word.  The only time you use <'e'> is when you have a sentence
as
>  an object of another sentence.  What you wanted was the noun suffix -'e',
>  which would ahve been correct had you attached it to <loD>.  What you have
>  here is, well... jibberish. {{:(

Err . . . check the English translation again, trI'Qal.  "I saw the man who
is running kill him."  Laurel has it right this time; {'e'} was indeed
required!  She wasn't being very specific about whom the running man killed,
but that {HoH} at the beginning still makes the first part a
sentence-as-object.

>          HoHbogh qamma' vIleghpu'
>  This is very obviously "I saw the prisoner who kills."
>          yaS HoHlu'bogh bIleghpu'
>  Likewise, this has to be "I saw the officer who someone kills"
>          ?yaS HoHpu'bogh qamma' bIlegh?

Oops.  "Prisoner" is {qama'} with only one "m" (remember Okrand's story at
the qep'a'?)  {{:-)

Also, I don't usually correct someone's English grammar on the list, but in
this case it's all about the point you're making.  That last translation
should be "I saw the officer WHOM someone kills."  "Whom" is used when
referring to an object, which is what you are doing.

jIQaHta' neH 'e' vInID.  jIbIvpu'chugh qoj qatIchpu'chugh, HIja'!  ('ach
jIHvaD yIjachneSQo'!  {{:-)

SuStel
Stardate 96746.4

Back to archive top level