tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 28 21:18:03 1996

Re: REPOST: KLBC: trying again

At 08:47 AM 9/6/96 -0700, Andrea Benton wrote:

This is really weird... I don't remember seeing the original posting for this...

>tlhIngan Hol jatlhbe' be'jatlhwI' ngaS Hol JabbI'ID qatlh

"why tapes of language contain female speakers do not speak Klingon?"

Okay, I think I see what you are doing here...

This was not a very bad attempt, and yes, it was complicated, but you made a
very honourable effort!  The errors you made (once I saw what they were) are
of the kinda that are either easily understood, or are fairly comon.  First,
the simple stuff:  the "J" in <jabbI'ID> should be "j", and questions words
(other than <nuq> and <'Iv> go at the beginning of the sentence.  The only
other error here is that <jatlhbe'> should have -bogh on it and
<be'jatlhwI'> hshould have -'e' on it, to show it is a relative clause
("female speakers who speak Klingon") and that the real "topic" of the
clause is "female speakers".  You could also tack a -pu' on <be'jatlhwI'> to
show that it is pural, but it is okay the way it is.  Please note that if
you mean the "female speaker" to be plural, then <jatlhbe'> needs to have
the lu- prefix to reflect this:

        qatlh tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbe'bogh be'jatlhwI'pu' ngaS Hol jabbI'ID?

><SajQa'>that's me!
>
>----------
>
>how would you say the word tapes? I used the term "data transmission" to
>try to come close, but there probably is a better word.

That's a good question.  I have seen several variations, inclduing your
<jabbI'ID>, <ta>, and just dropping the word "tape" in and putting ""s
around it.  Any other suggestions out there?

>I know, I probably tried a sentance WAY to complex for me...what the
>heck...gotta try sometime.

Actaully, you did a fairly good job of it.  Yes, it was complicated... but
the most important thing here is that it was something YOU though of; not
someone else's words which you tried to translate.  You also did a fair job
with it... I won't say a really good job, because I did have some trouble
hacking my way through it, but eventually (with your English translation) I
DID understand what you were doing, and your errors were not *that* bad.
You did very well  for someone trying to tkae a bite into something very large!

>I always wondered if the pitch in the voice prevents them from having the
>female speaker on the tapes to speak Klingon.

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question, as I am a Klingon-geek, not a
techno-geek.  {{:)  Anyone out there wanna give it a try?

>Thanks!

You are welcome!

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level