tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 24 20:55:34 1996

Re: 'The Deadly Field', Eskimo language, and tlhIngan Hol

>Hello there, all;
>
>I had seen the televised version of 'The Deadly Field'(or was it 'Deadly
>Fields',) a Steven Segall film, and there were some eskimoes in it. When I
>heard them speak, the sounds that they made sounded strangely tlIngan! I heard
>'tlh', 'q', 'Q', 'S', ''' [glottal stops], and 'ng' alot.  I just thought it
>was interesting to see a 'human' language that sounded so familiar to tlhIngan
>Hol, and from what I could hear from words and sounds, all of the letters
>seemed to fit tlIngan style.  I was wondering what other natural earth
>languages might sound similar to tlhIngan Hol, and if any of them in particular
>were targeted as a basis for Mark Okrand's rendition of Klingon.

Yea, the language is  called "inuktitut" here in Canada, but it DOES have
similar sounds to tlhIngan Hol.  I believe it was in the Klingon
Dictionary that Mark Okrand said tlhIngan Hol was based partly on some
west coast indian languages.

Qapla'

qrlIH veStaySortlhIH Sogh la'       Lt. Commander K'rlikh Vestai-Shor-Klikh
tlhIngan wo' Duj qIj leng rawI'     Commanding Officer, IKV Black Odyssey

a.k.a.

--
Denny Shortliffe

Back to archive top level