tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 14 16:30:54 1996

Re: A question of duration.

Robert Darke wrote:

> >wa'  --  majatlhchuqpu' = We spoke to each other.
> >cha' --  poH nI' = A long period of time.
> >
> >chay' <We spoke [to each other] at length> vIjatlhlaH ?

And Alan Anderson replied:

> {qaStaHvIS poH nI' majatlhchuqpu'}.
>
> Vocab nit:  we have the word {ja'chuq} "discuss, confer".  I'm not sure
> if {jatlh} can or should work like {ja'} this way, but I know {ja'chuq}
> isn't wrong.

I think that {ja'chuq} implies too much of a deliberate "meeting". Provided
the translation works I think I'll stick with {jatlh}.

> Grammar nit:  are you sure you're using {-pu'} correctly?  It's a pet
> project of mine to try to wipe out misuse of perfectives. :-)  {-pu'}
> and {-ta'} do *not* imply past tense, as your translation ("spoke")
> seems to be using.  They imply completion; the common way to translate
> it in English is with "has/have been", "had been", or "will have been".
> I read {majatlhchuqpu'} as "we have been speaking [to] one another."

Uhuh. I see. But ... doesn't "we have been speaking [to] one another"
equate to "we spoke to one another" ?? I can't see any real difference ...
is the "nit" really just a case of how exact the English translation needs
to be ?

If not, how SHOULD I phrase it "correctly" ?

nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej batlh bIHeghjaj.

Rob

--

|      www.parallel.demon.co.uk      |          "Still a newbie!"          |