tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 13 05:03:45 1996

Re: nIDwIj wa'DIch

(Since this message goes beyong the scope of KLBC, I've removed the KLBC
header.)

 > From: ur-valhalla!acsinc.net!triqal (HoD trI'Qal)
 > Subject: (KLBC) Re: nIDwIj wa'DIch

 > Unfortunately, your one grammatical error here was something we
 > probably should have int eh FAQ as a warning:  the use of the verb
 > <pong> has not been fully described to us, so we aren't really sure
 > how to use it.

While I fully agree that {*Qob* 'oH pongwIj'e'} is the "safe" way to say "My
name is Qob", I think it's time we stopped fighting over the "instinctive" use
of {pong}.  The original argument against using {pong} to say "I name my son
'Qob'" was that this requires apposition ("son" and "Qob" are in apposition).
However, with Skybox card S26 {lurSa be'etor je}, we have a canon example of
apposition: {... DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa be'etor je}, translated as "the sisters
of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor".  I personally have no problem (now) with saying
{*Qob* puqloDwI' vIpong}.

We also have a canon use of the verb {pong} on S27 {Qo'noS}.  This card
contains the sentence {roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH}.  While this sentence is
combined with another in the English translation ("What is a single sentence
in ENglish is often two in Klingon") the translation is fairly evident:
"(Qo'noS) is usually refered to as simply "The Homeworld".  To me, {juHqo'
ponglu'} quite clearly says "someone calls it 'the Homeworld'".  (I do admit
to uncertainty about what {'oHvaD} is doing in there; it certainly seem
redundant, and we've discussed the meaning of {roD} before.)

So, yes, I agree that there should be a FAQ, but I no longer see a need to
make a big deal about *not* using the verb {pong} - just an explaination of
why it *does* work.

cha' DeQmey tItlhap!  <g>

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |