tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 12 20:50:04 1996

pongwIj (was Re: -neS)

96-09-12 04:41:38 EDT, jatlh Latin_King:

> >I still like my name, though, so I don't have any plans to
>  >change it.

>  If this is the case, then it is only logical to suspect that you (only)
>  like it because of its phonetic sounds in, eg., English.  THINK about it.

(If you mean because it sounds like "Shhh!  Tell," then you're wrong.  I'm
surprised no one else has ever suggested this.  I've often known about it,
but was waiting to see if anyone else would notice.  As far as I'm concerned,
it's just a coincidence, especially since I didn't notice this similarity
until about a year after I devised the name.

However, if you mean something else . . .)

lugh meqvam.  DIvI' Hol jatlhlu'taHvIS qoj tlhIngan Hol jatlhlu'taHvIS
pongwIj QIch vIparHa'.  'e' vIwuqpu'be' pong vI'oghDI'.  pong vIlo'taHvIS
vIwuq.

pong vI'oghDI' QIch vIqelpu'be'.  <SuS'a'Daq puvbogh Ha'DIbaH> vIqel neH.
 "Gandalf"vaD "Stormcrow" pong "Theoden" joH qeSwI' (Grima Wormtongue,
"gharghjat"  {{:-)  )  'ach pongvaD moH wej mu'vam.  vaj wa' mu' vI'ogh:
<SuStel>, "Windwing."  'IH 'ej tIqHa'.  ("Binghamton"Daq De'wI' patHomDaq
"Stormcrow" vIlo' jIpong'eghmeH.  'IHqu' pongvam.)

qaStaHvIS jarmey law' pongvam vIlo'.  qep'a'Daq jIHvaD pongvam lo' Hoch vaj
'oH lajlu' 'e' vIghoj.  mutIvtaH ghu'vam.

vaj pongwIj 'oHbej <SuStel>.  vIchoHmoH vIneHbe'.  'ej vIchoHmoHQo' jay'!
 {{:-)

SuStel
Stardate 96700.7

Oh, okay, a summary: originally, I chose <SuStel> for a quick translation of
"Stormcrow" from _The Lord of the Rings_, but since then I have come to
appreciate the way it sounds.

Not a summary: Besides, it caught my attention pretty well at the qep'a', so
I must have chosen well!

Back to archive top level