tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 11 17:20:22 1996

Re: how?

ghItlh SuStel:
>tIn Duj.  "meter" 'ar?
>
>At first I thought to add {'oH} to the end of this, to make the second
>sentence complete, but then I realized that something cannot *be* a meter
>(unless it is a stick with little black lines on it, etc.)  Unfortunately,
>the whole problem is that there are no verbs for "measure" or "be a length,"
>so I couldn't express it this way.

yInejqa' -- <juv> vIleghbej.  mu'tlhegh law' vI'oghlaH:

He juvlu'chugh qelI'qam 'ar tu'lu'?
He juvlu'meH qelI'qam 'ar poQlu'?
He juvlu'DI' qelI'qam 'ar toghlu'pu'?
He juvlu'taHvIS qelI'qam 'ar lo'nISlu'?

chaq Doch juvlu'be'.  chaq juv Doch:

qelI'qam 'ar juv He?

SKI: The verb <juv> means "measure".  There are several ways to use it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level