tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:15:28 1996

Re: KLBC: {-vaD} (oh, and {vaj} too !)

At 03:24 PM 9/1/96 -0700, William H. Martin wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Sep 1996 14:16:39 -0700 HoD trI'Qal
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> As far as I know, it is a "not necessary but do it if you like" thing.  It
>> may be required only if the -chugh clause comes first... that we don't know.
>> It is certainly not a "cannon-only" thing.
>
>You are right that it is optional. There are a number of
>canon examples with and without it. If you are suggesting
>that if the {-chugh} phrase comes first, it may be
>required, that is not accurate. There seems to be no rule:
>
>bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh.
>bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh. PK
>bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'. TKW p. 72

Delving into canon for this kind of rule is not my forte, and I admit it...
not for a hobby.  I *did* have a "may" in there, didn't I?  Yup, I sure did.
That means I am not sure if what I am saying is correct or not, because I
don't delve into canon the way you do.

I thank you for point out these examples for me.

[...]

>> >Also, would
>> >
>> >{bIjagh pagh bIHegh}
>> >
>> >be wrong ?
>
>Considering that {jagh} is a noun, yes, it is wrong.

Oops!  I missed this one!

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'!

('ej qatlho'qu'neS, *charghwI'*!)

>> It's wrong in the sense that we already have "canon" for how it should be.
>> What you have is grammatically correct, though.  And it may very well be
>> because of that "if" concept that this wasn't used; that I can't tell you,
>> but since I have now responded to this, it is open for the list in general
>> to reply...
>
>qatlho'.

qay'be'... 'ach nuqmo'?

>charghwI'

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level