tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 06 07:32:35 1996

_Mark_ translation

In Digest 647, macheq made the following comments about the proper names in my
rendering of the Gospel according to Mark:

>Date:        Thu, 22 Aug 1996 21:03:40 EDT
>From: "Dr. Maciej St. Zieba" <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Subject: "grape" in the Gospel of Mark was: Word borrowing in Klingon

>>'grape' (for *'grape' HIq*, 'wine'), and so on.

>Despite the translator's opinion  the last information isn't true enough.
>In fact I have checked the whole online KLI version of the Gospel according to
>Mark in Nick's translation and I find no loanword for "grape".
>(Maybe Nick has it still in his papers for the promised corrected
>translation? :-) ).

No, Nick simply misremembered :-)

>Date:        Thu, 22 Aug 1996 21:05:09 EDT
>From: "Dr. Maciej St. Zieba" <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Subject: Names in the Gospel of Mark and other word-borrowings there

>$ *yeSuS* *'IHrIStoS* - Jesus Christ (Mk. 1,1) (why not: *'IHrIStoS* *yeSuS* ?)

The other 'surnames' in the text are analogous to genitive constructions: the
specific is a patronymic or place of origin. In this case, 'Christ' is a title,
and the two nouns are in apposition. I didn't feel like pressing the analysis
too far, since 'J.C.' is commonly taken to be a name anyway, so I left the order
as is. (In fact, canon like Day joH actually justifies the ordering used here.)

>Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:47:05 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Names in the Gospel of Mark and other word-borrowings there

>I wonder why there's such a love for "tlh" for sounds that are even
>slightly non-Klingon.  If I were transliterating a "z" sound (as in
>Beelzebub), I'd use "S", not "tlh".  At least it's a sibilant, and a
>fricative!  "z" differs from "s" (which becomes "S") only in voicing, and
>"tlh" isn't voiced either, so what do you gain?  You have an affricate
>instead!  True, some English words with z (like "Zion") are based on Hebrew
>words with a tzadi, which is (in Modern pronunciation) a voiceless
>affricate (and even in ancient pronunciation was never voiced), but for
>true "z" sounds, I'd stick with "S."

In really Ancient Greek, 'z' was an affricate --- and I suspected as much for
the Hebrew being transliterated as well. So I wouldn't mind keeping 'tlh'
here...

>Same with "th".  Especially considering that many of them are from Hebrew,
>which lost its "th" sound (if it ever had one) quite a long time ago in
>most dialects.  "tlh" is no better for "th" than "t" is, and "t" is how it
>would be pronounced by most Hebrew-speakers today.  Hmm... And you know,
>I'm nearly positive that even in ancient pronunciation "sabachtani" would
>have to have had a hard t and not a th.  I think it follows a quiescent
>shwa, and that makes the t hard.  Some of the words are from Greek, which
>did and does have a true "th" sound; maybe "tlh" is good for that... but
>maybe "t" is still better, or maybe even "S" (listen to how Japanese
>transliterates some English words with "th").

Actually, Ancient Greek th was an aspirated t (hence the spelling); I forget
when the change-over to the fricative took place (sometime between 100 BC and
300 AD, at a guess), but given in addition that I've rendered 'ph' as 'p'
(though it was definitely being pronounced as f by the 1st century AD), I'll
make the th's t's. When I rejig the translation, I'll also pay less attention to
stress: for instance, there is no need for *pe'tlhoS* as opposed to *petroS* for
'Peter'. On the other hand, I could readily use *QIStoS* rather than *'IHrIStoS*
for 'Christ'; anyone have any preference on the matter?

--
NON ME TENENT VINCVLA NON ME TENET CLAVIS    STETIT PVELLA RVFA TVNICA SIQVIS
       Nick Nicholas      http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~nsn   Linguistics

Back to archive top level