tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 05 13:11:23 1996

Re: KLBC: Klingon poem

At 10:03 PM 4/9/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:10 AM 8/30/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>>suvta'
>
>capItalS.  {{:)
>
>This really means, "they had (intentionally) fought"... ie, they had fought
>before, in the past of this story.  I don't believe that this is what the
>original poster had in mind.  {{:)

Apart from the missing capital, nothing is wrong, the verb type 7 suffix
{-ta'} means "accomplished, done", thusly {Suvta'} translated means "They
accomplished fighting"

>>Hegh bIH SuvwI'
>
>Unfortunately, I'm not even sure WHAT this translates to... <bIH> doesn't
>belong in there at all, as it is a pronoun which means "multiple items not
>capable of speech".  You only have one warrior here, and he is dying,
>true... but what does <bIH> have to do with it?

I wanted to write {Hegh ghaH SuvwI'} with the meaning "The warrior, him and
nobody else, dies". (This is a liberal translation.)

>Other than the comments I mentioned above, yes. {{:)

bItlho'

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level