tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 05 06:36:46 1996

Re: Klingonaase

"Dark Viper" writes:
>Yes, but then that means we'll have a Klingonaase Dictionary, a Klingonese
>Dictionary, etc. etc. Meaning, the Klingon Language that we know (tlhIngan
>Hol) will have lost its popularity...

yIHarQo'!  No way!  {tlhIngan Hol} is here now, there are people using
it, and it's real (yes, it is).  It's not going to lose its popularity
if another "Klingon" language is described in similar detail, unless
you consider that its popularity is *only* because it's associated
with the fictional race of star-trekking aliens with crinkly foreheads
and surly dispositions.  I grant that a more English-like but still
alien-sounding language would likely be more popular with Klingon
wannabes, but the existence of such a "Klinglish" shouldn't detract
from the interest in tlhIngan Hol.  Especially with the KSRP in full
swing, and the growing number of people who can actually manage to
carry on a conversation in tlhIngan Hol, and the simple fact that it's
just a neat little language.

>...and no one will agree on the proper way
>to say "It is a good day to die" because we'll all be using different
>languages!

Well, what's wrong with that?  Nobody agrees on the proper way to say
it *now*, even using only the *one* language, and even *after* the
officially proper way has been given! ;-)

>It also can force us to isolate ourselves on some faraway island
>and become an actual Klingon civilization because only in a world-class
>population can different dialects and languages exist successfully.

I'll disagree with your assertion that different languages cannot
exist successfully in less than a "world-class population".  How do
you explain units as small as a single *family* where two languages
manage to coexist just fine?  *Dialects* will probably disappear in
a small group of people who speak the same basic language, but entire
languages don't vanish unless a conscious effort is made to avoid
speaking them.

>BTW, where did you see this so-called "Klingonaase"? It'd be interesting to
>take a peek at what these so-called "Klingons" are up to.

See the novel "The Final Reflection" by John Ford.  I'm told it's a
very good book with a great story.  There's just the barest sketch of
the language given, though.

>Besides, tlhIngan Hol is the ***CANON*** language.

It's canon *here*.  After all, this *is* the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list.
Star Trek canon is whatever Paramount shows on screen.

>That's my opinion, anyway.
>yIntaH tlhInganpu' teHqu'jaj.

nuqjatlh?  "Klingons survive; may it be very true."
That seems awfully wordy for something with {-jaj}.
(Many places where I see {teH} used, {-bej} seems more appropriate.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level