tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 14:56:11 1996

Re: TKD 3rd ed. (was Re: nuqneH)

At 08:01 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
>>--Dark Viper-----------------------------
>>'ut 'oH vuv'e'
>
>This is an easy error to make, but you should watch for it.  "'ut" is a
>verb.  In English, we use the copula ("to be") to apply adjectives to nouns
>in a sentence (respect IS necessary), but in Klingon the "adjectives"
>really *are* verbs.  Pronouns-as-verbs really indicate existence at a place
>or equation between two nouns.  "Respect is necessary" translates as "'ut
>vuv."

But from what I interpreted in TKD, is that it is okay sometimes to use a
verb as a noun -- maybe this is one of the times it isn't? Because that IS a
semi-confusing part of TKD for me.

>Actually, it doesn't, since "vuv" is also a verb, and you can't use it as a
>noun like that without other evidence.  How about "vuvnISqu'lu'"/"one MUST
>respect"?

You are right and I have changed my sig accordingly. qatlho'.

vuvnISqu'lu'
http://www.spectranet.ca/~dviper/tlhIngan
(rInHa')