tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 14:36:28 1996

Radio Times Klingon

In the "Radio Times, Official Collecter's Edition: Star Trek 30
Years", There is a piece by Christopher Bland, entitled - Let's talk
Klingon.

It gives a good bit of background information on the nature and
origins of tlhIngan Hol, based around a fair interview with Marc
Okrand.

It also has the following special feature section;

>Speaking Klingon

>Ten Klingon Phrases Created Exclusively for U.K. Trekkers!

>You won't find any of these phrases in "The Klingon Dictionary" or
>in any of the Star Trek films or episodes. We asked the inventor
>himself, Marc Okrand, to translate these phrases specifically for
>Radio Times readers. He has also provided the literal translations.
>tIv! (Enjoy!)

>1. We are U.K. Klingons!            -   wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
>2. Come along then.                     -   Ha'.
>3. Give us a kiss, love.                 -  HIchop, bang.
>4. Spot of tea?                              -  Dargh DaneH'a'?
>5. Beam me up, mate                    -  HIjol, jup.
>6. Not bloody likely!                    -  ghaytanHa' jay'!
>7. Be quick about it.                      - tugh.
>8. Cricket, please.                          - DaH ghew yIQuj.
>9. Let's go to the pub.                    - tach vI'el. HItlhej
>10. What has Lady Di done now?  -  DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?

Apart from the fact that not many people (Klingon or otherwise) speak
like that in Britain, the only one I really have an argument with is
number 10.

 It's simply not Cricket to use "ghew" like that!  The game "cricket" and the
 insect "cricket" are homonyms - like the Klingon "DIS" cave, and "DIS" year.

A better approach would be to use a transliteration i.e. QIHet.

DaH QIHet yIQuj.

joSepuS.

Back to archive top level