tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 02 19:51:12 1996

The Undiscovered Country (was Re: KLBC question)

96-09-02 13:02:56 EDT, jatlh trI'Qal:

> I really don't think you can translate
>  "Star Trek" as <"Hov "Trek">, but that is more accurate than what you had.
>  You probably would have been better off leaving "Star Trek" together in
the
>  English:

I, too, prefer to leave it in the English, but one might consider {Hov leng}.

>          ""Star Trek" jav: Hatlh tu'be'" cha'wI'
>
>  <Hatlh> means "countryside".  I've always understood "Country" in the
movie
>  title to mean something like France, or the United State, or China, etc.

"The Undiscovered Country" is a quote from Shakespear.  It occurs in Hamlet's
"To be or not to be" soliloquy in Act 3 Scene 1.  It refers to death: "But
that the dread of something after death, -- The undiscover'd country, from
whose bourn no traveller returns . . ."

Our Hamlet writers translated "the undiscover'd country" as {Hegh tlha'
qo''e' tu'bogh pagh}, "The world which no one finds follow death."

The title in Star Trek VI really twists this meaning.  In fact, "Star Trek
II: The Wrath of Khan" was originally titled "Star Trek: The Undiscovered
Country" (by Nick Meyers), and the title made sense; Spock died in the movie.
 Now it's use means very little to me.  (I think I read this in Shatner's
"Movie Memories" book.)

In this case, I think Katie's rendition of "The Undiscovered Country" is as
good as any other, except for a missing suffix or two: {Hatlh tu'be'lu'bogh}

SuStel
Stardate 96673.2

Back to archive top level