tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 01 19:54:55 1996

Re: KLBC - help on a few phrases

>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:14:54 -0700
>From: [email protected] (HoD trI'Qal)

>At 06:59 PM 8/26/96 -0700, Chet Braun wrote:

>>Practice 10,000 times.
>>netlhlogh yIqeq

>or <peqeq>, if you are adressing more than one person.

Also, "netlh" is not technically a number, but a number-forming-element.
So far as I know, just like "ten" is "wa'maH", 10,000 is "wa'netlh."  I
don't think you can use "netlh" by itself.

>>free fall martial arts
>>pagh tlham tonSaw'

>I'm sorry... I don't even know what "free fall martial arts" are, so I can't
>even begin to comment on this.  The only thing I can do is tell you that the
>literal translation of this phrase is:

>   "Klingon fighting system of zero/none gravity"

Er, that sounds kinda close to "free fall Martial Arts" to me.  "Free fall"
means "under conditions of microgravity/zero gravity."

>>Only in space can you fall off the floor.
>>ravvo' bIpum'eghlaHmeH loghDaq SoHnIStaH

>How does one "fall yourself"?  That doesn't make sense.  It might make more
>sense if you drop the -'egh, and just say "in order that you are able to
>fall from the floor".  That would convey your meaning a bit better.  Also, I
>REALLY hate seeing a pronoun with verb suffixes attached to mean "to be"
>without a noun with -'e' after it!  Why not use the verb "to be present", <SaH>?

Even less conveniently, "pum" has a second, transitive, meaning, so
"bIpum'egh" is most likely to mean "you accuse yourself."

~mark

Back to archive top level