tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 14:09:34 1996

RE: KLBC: interrogative punctuation

November 29, 1996 11:08 AM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> > > jIneH,
> >
> > "I want"?  What do you mean by that?
>
> 	I thought it out-of-context to use <nuqneH>, as *I* am the one
> speaking here, and am the one who desires something.  An alternate
> greeting form for this medium, specific to the content of my letter.

I like your thinking, but it really doesn't work.  (At least you're not
barging into a room and shouting "What do you want?")

When a Klingon has something to say, he just says it.  If he has to get
someone's attention first (not really necessary in a mailing-list format), he
might shout {SuH}, {SU'}, {'eH}, or {SSS} (the last is not actually a word,
but is a slurred form or {SuH}).  These all mean "Get ready!"  They indicate
that the speaker is about to give a command.  {Su'} and {SuH} can also
indicate that something is about to happen.

> > > 	SuStel chojang.  Qapla'...
> >
> > This should be a command.  {SuStel, HIjang!} or {HIjang, SuStel!}
>
> 	I figured (loosely translating) "SuStel, you answer me." was
> sufficient.  Yes, I could have stated it more forcefully, but then that
> brings up whether I *should* have.  I could have easily written <SuStel
> chojangneS>, which probably would have made more sense.  Yes?  (Too many
> options...)

It's not a question of force, it's a question of command.  When you tell
someone "Answer me," you are giving them a command.  Read TKD section 4.1.2.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level