tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 04:03:28 1996

Engishization of Klingon (Was: RE: KLBC a phrase about Honor)

~mark writes

 >>now.  (Am I the only one dismayed by Okrand's musing (threat?) that
 >>Klingon orthography might not be alphabetic?)

 > I'm not dismayed.  I rather hope it turns out not to be, and we get a
 > nice weird one.  I hope he gives us an excuse to make the alphabetic
 > one "OK", like the excuse I use, but I'd be quite happy with a
 > non-alphabetic system.  Alphabets are too easy.  Given Klingon's mainly

Something along the lines of the multiple ways of "writing" Japanese?  I could
live with that....

 > exceptions for rgh and whatnot).  Or alphabets or syllabaries for the
 > content words and special symbols for the affixes (as someone
 > suggested).  So we'd even have different spellings for the two meanings
 > of -wI', etc.

Hmm.  That's an evil thought.  To make it really weird, there might be a
different symbol for each verb prefix - even the ones that sound identical
(ie. three different symbols for {yI-}).

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |