tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 29 11:18:29 1996

RE: Okrand on MSN (was RE: KLBC: lut)

On Friday, November 29, 1996 1:51 PM, Steven
Boozer[SMTP:[email protected]] wrote:

> SuStel (and anyone else on MSN),
>
> Are there any other bits Okrand has posted on MSN's Startrek: Continuum
> Klingon language forum? There was a new word (magh "indicate, reveal")
> posted here by someone when the MSN area started up, then nothing. Is
> Okrand still working with MSN? Was the Klingon area shut down for lack of
> interest (not enough Klingonists on MSN)? All such Okrandian fragments
> (such as his note to you) are much appreciated for whatever clues can be
> squeezed out of them.

I was that someone.  {{:)  There are two different areas of relevance on
MSN.  One is called "Linguistic Studies" in the KLingon Compendium area of
ST:Continuum.  In this area, they give a new Klingon word every day.  I've
been monitoring this site regularly.  At the /qep'a' wejDIch/, Okrand
suggested that there may be new words there.  The only bit of new
information so far is that /magh/ also means "indicate, reveal."  (In TKD,
it's defined as "betray").

Now, Okrand *does* give more detailed definitions of words there than he
does in TKD.  I've been sending these words/definitions to charghwI', for
his analysis.  For instance, we know from TKD that /jaj/ means day.  On
MSN, Okrand defines /jaj/ as "Block of time needed for Earth to rotate once
on its axis."  Wow, now we know that this refers to an Earth day, not a
Kronos day!

I have been adding these MSN definitions to the annotations in the /pojwI'/
lexicon.

The second area of interest is called the "Expert Forum BBS."  This is an
area moderated by Marc Okrand himself.  We can write to him there, and he
responds.  A few list members have popped up over there.

I'd like to add, though, that I'm not sure how we, as Klingonists, should
make use of this particular access to Okrand.  The KLI occasionally
contacts Okrand with questions about the language, which come up through
our interactions on the mailing list and the KLI meetings.  In this way,
the KLI acts as a moderator, shielding Okrand from an onslaught of
questions, and giving him an opportunity to contemplate the answers.  I
have refrained from asking Okrand direct questions about Klingon there.

OTOH, we *do* write to him in Klingon, and he answers in Klingon.  So, we
can see how *he* uses the language, as SuStel shows above.  This can be
very instructive!

> Voragh
> (who's going to re-check the post-TKD list at the KLI website)

--Holtej
Stardate 96913.91

Back to archive top level