tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 27 17:20:32 1996

Re: KLBC - write and good

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:02:42 -0800 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
> >>	tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaH 'e' vIDub
> >>	I improve that I speak Klingon.
> >
> >Another of those transitivity questions.  Does "Dub" mean "get better" or
> >"make something else better"?  Maybe it should be DubmoH?
>
> ghobe'.  {Dub} is transitive in canon:

I can't find any canon of it being used intransitively. I missed
the S14 reference, but already had the S26 one. So far as I can
tell, it ONLY means to improve something and not simply to
improve, though I'm sure I've misused it at times if this is the
case.

charghwI'

> SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam ...  (S14)
> This serves to steady the aim of a warrior ...
> (lit. "This [disruptor rifle] stock improves a warrior's marksmanship")
>
> DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
>    lurSa' be'etor je.  (S26)
> The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
>    seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
>    High Council.
> (I'll leave parsing this sentence as an exercise for the reader, but the
> OVS core is:  patlh luDub be'nI'pu'. )
>
> >I'm not sure using it with 'e' is clear, though it might be.  One could
> >also say "tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaHvIS jIDub," perhaps.

I suspect this may simply be wrong, since it uses {Dub}
intransitively and we have no proof that this works and no need
for it to work. I never simply improve. I improve SOMETHING. My
health, my skill, my honor. SOMETHING.

> >~mark
>
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons