tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 27 15:05:08 1996

RE: KLBC: Shakespear

November 27, 1996 4:21 PM, jatlh HurghwI':

> Here are a couple translations from STVI:

Really?  I thought they were from Shakespeare.  :)

> "Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!"
> mIS yIjaH, 'ej veS targhmey tIQeyHa'choHmoH!

"Confusion go, and start causing the war targs to be loose."

> QIH yIjaH, 'ej veS targhmey tIQeyHa'choHmoH!

"Destruction go, and start causing the war targs to be loose."

I think I've seen someone else on this list translate this one.  Are you
listening, whoever you are?

> "Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?"
> ramjep *chime*-mey DIQoybe''a'?
> I was not sure how to best translate "chimes." There was nothing even
> remotely close.

ramjep chuSwI' DIQoypu'be''a'?

or

ramjep ghum DIQoypu'be''a'?

> "To be, or not to be."
> yIn, yInbe'ghach ghap
>
> I haven't read Hamlet yet, so tell me how it was translated there.

But you *have* seen Star Trek VI, right?  General Chang translates this for us
twice:

taH pagh taHbe'.

In all fairness, though, Okrand was originally going to use the word {yIn} for
this purpose, but Christopher Plummer didn't think it sounded Klingon enough.
Okrand invented a new meaning for {taH}: "endure, go on."

Listen to the movie.  You'll hear this line once at dinner, and once just
before the cloaked Bird of Prey fires on the Enterprise for the first time.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level