tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 24 17:13:37 1996

RE: KLBC: Ha'DIbaH

jatlh lo'rel:

>  Ha'DIbaH boneHchugh vaj boje'
>  If you (plural) want meat, then buy it.

The verb {je'} is being used as a command, so you need to use the imperative
prefix {yI-}.

Ha'DIbaH boneHchugh vaj yIje'.

>  naDev Ha'DIbaH tu'lu.  wIje'.
>  There is meat here.  We buy it.

maj.

>  Ha'DIbaH jungevbe'chugh vaj pIHoH
>  If You don't  sell us meat then we will kill you.

You've just committed a double-object sin!  How could you?

For those of you who enjoy torturing me with double-objects, this sentence is
fine.  However, you those of you who want to take a somewhat more correct
method (and this IS KLBC, after all), then you should consider using {-vaD}:

maHvaD Ha'DIbaH Dangevbe'chugh vaj pIHoH.

Note: there is the canon example of {DaH jIHvaD yIngev!} (PK).

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96900.9

Back to archive top level