tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 24 17:13:13 1996

RE: {-vam} {-vetlh} je

jatlh Qorbeq:

>  Kinda. More of a statement that I notice a lot of people using {-vetlh}
>  where I would have used {-vam}. Okrand says of {-vam} ... "this suffix
>  indicates that the noun refers to an object which is nearby OR WHICH IS
>  THE
>  TOPIC OF THE CONVERSATION" and illustrates it with

I suspect that the descriptions given by Okrand are more or less the same ones
for English "this" and "that", and that they are not very strictly adhered to.

If it makes you feel any better, I usually use {-vam} for the same situations
you would.  Not because of what TKD says, but just because that's the way I
expect the suffixes to work.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96900.9