tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 22 22:59:22 1996

Klingons in Columbia University

Forwarded Mail received from: Mark Mandel

Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:56:50 -0500
Sender: American Dialect Society <[email protected]>
From: "Barry A. Popik" <[email protected]>
Subject:      Klingons in Columbia University
To: Multiple recipients of list ADS-L <[email protected]>

     Has "Klingon" been solved??
     Mark Mandel posted my Klingon Query to a special list, but no one knew
where the name came from.  As I stated in a previous posting, I frequently
found the name "Gerald Klingon '42" in the Columbia University Jest (humor
magazine) in the early 1940s.  I have no idea if this is a real person, but
he's most definitely a Klingon!
     How can I prove where Gene Roddenberry got the name?
     This is from The New York Times, 26 October 1991, pg. 26, col. 3:

Gene Roddenberry, 'Star Trek' Creator, Dies at 70
          From a B-17 to Starships
     Eugene Wesley Roddenberry was born in El Paso, Tex., on Aug. 19, 1921,
and grew up in Los Angeles, where his father worked in law enforcement.  He
attended Los Angeles City College, the University of Miami and Columbia
University, studying pre-law and aeronautical engineering.

     Oh my God!

Back to archive top level