tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 16:38:09 1996

RE: maw' Damev!

jatlh Joel Anderson:

>     If I use the word "bomlut" in a sentence, wouldn't one
>     be able figure out that I mean either "opera" or "musical"?
>
>  No - I don't think you can count on that.  I'd suggest you
>  footnote the use in Klingon.  Make up a template like:

Actually, I'd imagine this example to be pretty obvious.  "Song-story" does
seem to refer to a narrative which contains a good deal of song.  However, not
all such compounds are obvious.  Apparently, HurghwI' didn't catch onto
ghunchu'wI''s {mInyoD}.  I knew what ghunchu'wI' was talking about (after all,
how many meanings can "eye-shield" possibly have in that context?), but
HurghwI' didn't.

As for footnoting your Klingon . . . not all Klingon is written.  Sometimes
(although for me, rarely), we get to converse personally in it.  How do you
footnote that?  Do Klingons speak by footnoting?

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96892.5

Back to archive top level