tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 07:49:31 1996

re: maw' Damev!

Tim writes:

   I've noticed a lot of bickering among the tlhIngan faithful
   about "new words". ...
   Is there a   middle ground?

Sadly, this does not seem to be the case for many.

   If I use the word "bomlut" in a sentence, wouldn't one
   be able figure out that I mean either "opera" or "musical"?

No - I don't think you can count on that.  I'd suggest you
footnote the use in Klingon.  Make up a template like:

vIQIj:  qaStaHvIS tlhIngan mu' *NEW*WORD* vIlo'taH,
        vaj DIvI' Hol mu' *ENGLISH*WORD* vIHechtaH.

[I explain: When I use the Klingon word *NEW*WORD*,
            then I mean the English word *ENGLISH*WORD*.]

In your case you might add the note:

vIQIj:  qaStaHvIS tlhIngan mu' *bomlut* vIlo'taH,
        vaj DIvI' Hol mu' *Opera* vIHechtaH..

If your audience is more likely to have Ferengi, Dutch,
Esperanto, or some other common language, substitute
the "DIvI' Hol" for the appropriate language, as well
as (obviously) the defining word.

  Only Okrand or a designated disciple can truly create "new words".

jIQoch, 'ach Qochbe' tlhInganpu' law'.

 If a new word WAS created, where would it be found?

yoSDaq mu' chu' lo' ghotpu' - Where the people use it!

--
   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'

Back to archive top level