tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 06:33:32 1996

maw' Damev!

I've noticed a lot of bickering among the tlhIngan faithful about "new
words".  Unfortunately, all languages are dynamic (words like "internet "
and "cyberspace" didn't exist just a few years back).  Is there a middle
ground?  If I use the word "bomlut" in a sentence, wouldn't one be able
figure out that I mean either "opera" or "musical"?  I don't expect "bomlut"
to be in the next edition of the tlhIngan dictionary.  Perhaps we could
agree that if your subject line has KLBC in it, all bets are off and you'll
have to stick with the dictionary.  There is a fine line between "reasonable
approximation" and "new word".  Only Okrand or a designated disciple can
truly create "new words".  If a new word WAS created, where would it be
found?

'orqut
[email protected]

Back to archive top level