tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 06:09:17 1996

Am I a linguist then...? (was: q and Q)

On 16 Nov 96 at 18:32, Denny Shortliffe wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by a linguist, I guess.  I have no formal
> training in linguistics but I speak three languages (other than
> thlIngan Hol).  By some definitions, that makes me a linguist.

So, this would make me a linguist, then? After all I know lots of
languages (at least partially): Dutch, English, German, a bit of
French, whatever I remembered of my 5 years of ancient Latin in
school, (very) tiny bits of ancient Greek (1 year in school) Italian,
Spanish, Danish. And of course there is my knowledge of tlhIngan
Hol.

But still, I do not see myself as a linguist by a long shot. I guess
our definitions are different.

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/247.5@Fido, 162:100/100.2@Agora,
     74:3108/101.5@QuaZie, 27:2331/201.5@SigNet, 606:3130/200.2@F1-net
           'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level