tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 17 06:53:07 1996

The FAQ section 3.5 -- charghwI' !?!

 uu> Please excuse my interuption in your conversations, however, it seems
 uu> to me that in All of the Know Languages spoken today, there are many
 uu> rules & regulations on how they are to be spoken, yet, the very people
 uu> that speak these languages hardly ever uphold these rules & regulations
 uu> but rather "USE" the language in a way which will best serve them.

 uu> I think sometimes we tend to "Over-Think" these situations.

This is pretty much true, and it is even admitted in the Intoduction to TKD.
Okrand says, "It should be remembered that even though the rules say 'always'
and 'never,' when Klingon is actually spoken these rules are sometimes
broken."

The next sentence is the one I feel most appropriate to  *this* forum,
however.  "What the rules represent, in other words, is what Klingon
grammarians agree on as the 'best' Klingon."

*This* is what I see as the function of the KLI and this List: the exploration
of "proper" Klingon grammar, so that we can ALL understand each other.  As
with English, everyday speech may be all but incomprehensible to people from
different areas, but grammatically correct speech *should* be understood.

Anyway, that's the opinion of another non-expert.  <g>

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |