tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 18:40:56 1996

Re: Klingon letters (was Re: <K'>vaD ghItlhlu''a'?)

>qrlIH (boy is that difficult to pronounce!) is making a couple of false
>assumptions.
>
>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, qrlIH wrote:
>..
>> {aw}, {ay}, {ey}, {Iy} and {oy} should be included as they are
>> specifically mentioned in TKD, pp._16-17.
>
>qrlIH (and others) consistently seems to imply (and I believe you have
>even said) that these diphthong*Hey* should be counted as vowels.  TKD
>p.16: "There are five vowels in Klingon."  So how do I account for the
>diphthong*Hey*?  Same page says it's a "combination of letters."
>Apparently Okrand means them to be seen as vowel-consonant combinations
>that need special attention as far as pronunciation.

You are right; I am wrong!  There it's in writing!  I failed to read the
section in its entirety.  Continuing on p.17, {uy}, {ew} and {Iw} are also
mentioned, but it's clear from the context that Marc views them as
vooble-Kronstint combinations.  OTH, what's a dipthong; *ONLY* a
vowel-vowel combo?

Qapla'

qrlIH veStaySortlhIH Sogh la'       Lt. Commander K'rlikh Vestai-Shor-Klikh
tlhIngan wo' Duj qIj leng ra'wI'    Commanding Officer, IKV Black Odyssey
Qanpu' pogh DuQ cha'DIch ra'wI'     Deputy C.O., Mailed Glove Squadron

a.k.a.

--
Denny Shortliffe

Back to archive top level