tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 14 23:31:27 1996

Re: diphthongs (was Re: <K'>vaD)

>> >In
>> >any case, the point is that the name {mayq} doesn't end in {yq} though
>> >it may look like it does.  In fact, it ends in {q} since the {ay} group
>> >is indivisible.
>     IMHO, {ay} is neither a group, nor a diphthong.  It is one letter.
>Consider the greek word 'phos'.  In greek, it has only three letters, but
>when it is translitereated into Roman letters, one of the letters is expanded
>into two.  This would certainly be an 'illegal' word if the letters were
>considered separately, since the 'h' sound occurs only at the beginnings of
>words.  When one considers this, it would appear that {mayq} is a three-letter
>ord with a perfectly legal consonant-vowel-consonant structure.

I couln't have said it better myself (which is obvious since I had the
chance and didn't!).

Qapla'

qrlIH veStaySortlhIH Sogh la'       Lt. Commander K'rlikh Vestai-Shor-Klikh
tlhIngan wo' Duj qIj leng ra'wI'    Commanding Officer, IKV Black Odyssey
Qanpu' pogh DuQ cha'DIch ra'wI'     Deputy C.O., Mailed Glove Squadron

a.k.a.

--
Denny Shortliffe

Back to archive top level